How to Apply for Service Connection



1. Is your house away from the nearest SURSECO-1 pole with secondary line?

Before starting any wiring installation and to avoid unnecessary expenses, please see if there are electric lines and pole in your vicinity and with under built and secondary service.

If there are none, consult our Technical Services Department at San Fernando, Bislig City, with telephone number 853-6138 (local 1010).

2. Does your application

  • Exceed 8,000 watts in total?
  • Need a three-phase supply? or
  • Require a service voltage other than 220 volts?

(when in doubt, you can consult a licensed electrical practitioner)

If yes, you need to apply for a separate transformer and will be required to put up a deposit for such. Please see our Technical Services personnel.

3. Do you have a previous connection with SURSECO-I that was disconnected and     has unpaid account?

If yes, you will be required to settle all previous unpaid bills and arrears. You can pay directly through any of our collection offices.

4. Have you ever been apprehended by SURSECO-I or is currently being charged     in court by SURSECO-I for electricity pilferage?

If yes, SURSECO-I has the legal right to deny service to any person or entity who has violated R.A. 7832(Anti-Pilferage Act.)


File your Application Early

The estimated length of time from processing your Application up to the connection of service is a minimum of 2 days. The estimate does not include the time you will take to install your own housewiring installation of your service entrance and the processing of Electrical Permits by the government agencies.

So, process your Application ahead of time, not at the time when you already need power or you are already transferring to your new house or building.

How to apply for Service

A prospective consumer is not a member; he/she must first apply for membership. Here’s how;

  • Hire/contact an Authorized Barangay Electrician (Accredited from SURSECO-1) to perform the actual housewiring installation at the consumer’s dwelling.
  • Accomplishment report is then submitted by the Barangay Electrician together with the housewiring lay-out duly signed by licensed PEE and municipal engineers. Certification of Zoning and Fire Department shall be attached to the lay-out.
  • Submit application to Member Consumer Development Section (MCSD) for computation of coop labor share and bill deposit;
    • for residential consumer, a minimum bill deposit of Php200.00
    • for commercial consumer, a minimum bill deposit of Php300.00 depending on his/her total load consumption based on electrical lay-out.

After paying all of his/her obligation, the MCSD must prepare a Turn-On order to be submitted to TSD office. Inspections are then made before execution and staking sheet preparations after.